Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Sen. David Hoyle retiring at end of term

State Sen. David Hoyle, D-Gaston, has announced he will not run for reelection in 2010. In a statement from the office of Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight -- Hoyle's roommate in Raleigh -- the nine-term Democratic legislator and cochair of the powerful Senate Finance Committee said:

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose! When I complete this term, I will have served 18 years in the North Carolina Senate. Having had the honor and privilege to serve my community and state in every way that has been asked of me, beginning 45 years ago as mayor of Dallas, it is now the time and the season to welcome the next phase of my life.

After much thought, I have made the difficult decision not to seek re-election to the Senate. While I will not seek re-election, please be assured that I will serve the rest of my term with the same diligence, dedication and integrity with which I have served from my first election. Public service has always been a central part of my life and my commitment to our community and our state remains strong.

I sincerely thank my loyal supporters, constituents and family for your faith in me during my Senate service. I am grateful and humbled by the confidence that you placed in me. It has been a high point in my life to be so honored by the voters of my district to serve as your Senator, and I thank you very much for that opportunity.


Second take: Hoyle has been part of the Senate leadership for years, but it now appears that the Senate is about to change in major ways. Longtime Senate Democratic Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, is resigning his office by the end of the year. Replacing him will be Buncombe County Democratic Sen. Martin Nesbitt as majority leader, meaning that power will shift in some ways to the West. Other members of the leadership's old guard may also be leaving. Basnight himself has said he will run for re-election, but longtime observers of the Senate would not be surprised if he, too stepped down.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness.

Brad said...

Well, now since he is assured of making a fortune off the land deal associated with a planned exit on the new highway, I'm sure he can retire in comfort. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Anonymous said...

The only way to get them out of office, they quit or die.

Anonymous said...

Next up, Grand Jury.

Anonymous said...

I wish Basnight would retire to his pier/aquarium that survived the tight budget. Maybe the schools could finally set calendars that reflect local control and the needs of the students rather than Basnight's tourism croney crowd.

As for Hoyle's seat hand it to whatever RINO wins the primary as the mouthbreathers in this county will vote for the party not the qualifications.

Anonymous said...

Another pol leaves wealthier than he came in. The American dream lives on in the mafia state known as NC.
Thanks for nothing.

Anonymous said...

Politicans = Criminals

Anonymous said...

Voters are stupid to reelect these people! TERM LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

GOOD This man has cost the state taxpayers millions if not billions in PORK>

Anonymous said...

Scumbag.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, David for the many years of great service. It is a thankless job.

Many of us in Gaston County also appreciate the work on the Parkway. Maybe some of these "haters" will benefit from a job due to it.

Happy Retirement.

Anonymous said...

"Thank you, David for the many years of great service. It is a thankless job."

Do you live in the real world? What the heck as this loser accomplished? His bigggest accomplishmenr is him retiring.

Anonymous said...

Thankless? You think he's had a thankless job? He's been "thanked" by a multitude of cronies who traded integrity for whatever favors he'd bestow; he exploited his wealth to ensure power, wielded that power rather crudely, raised a son to be as lacking in ethics as he is, and is beating a fast retreat from office before the danged AG picks up the scent from the trail of abuses of office that he and his fat cat friends have blazed all over the state. Yeah, great guy.

Slapshot said...

Maybe some of these haters will benefit from a job due to it.

Regards
Rosewing

Nelson Lee Walker of tenurecorrupts.com said...

The only infallible, unstoppable, guaranteed way to get a truly new Congress is :
NEVER REELECT ANY INCUMBENT! AND DO IT EVERY ELECTION!

The American voter must IMPOSE term limits by NEVER REELECTING ANYONE IN CONGRESS, AND DO IT EVERY ELECTION! In other words, don't let anyone serve more than one term. That's the only way to teach them that the voter is boss! The “one term limit” can be eased AFTER citizens get control of Congress.

Congress will never allow us to constitutionally term limit them by an amendment. Our only choice is to NEVER REELECT them. All of them!

The number of ‘good guys’ left in Congress is negligible, so if we threw ALL 535 members out, we wouldn’t do as much damage as the good we would gain by by turning Congress into a bunch of honest, innocent freshmen.

Some of the reasons in favor of this approach:

• It gives us a one-term-limited Congress without using an amendment
• It encourages ordinary citizens to run for Congress
• It is supported by 70% of the country (see Rasmussen and Cato polls)
• It is completely nonpartisan
• If repeated, it ends career politicians in Congress
• It opens the way to a “citizen Congress” of guys like you and me
* It would open a torrent of fresh ideas to improve our government
• It ends the seniority system that keeps freshmen powerless
• It doesn’t cost money. But you MUST vote! Just don’t vote for an incumbent
• It takes effect immediately on Election Day
• It is the only infallible, unstoppable, guaranteed way to “Throw the Bums Out”
• When the ‘pros’ stop running, ordinary citizens will run and win
• If it doesn’t work, do it again and again! It will work eventually, without a doubt.

NEVER REELECT ANYONE IN CONGRESS. AND DO IT EVERY ELECTION!
Go to nels96@gmail.com to send for your free NEVER REELECT bumper sticker

Nelson Lee Walker of tenurecorrupts.com

Anonymous said...

Roswing, I don't mind being called a hater, as long as you understand that what I hate is corrupt practices and the attitude that it's all excusable if enough people benefit. I don't believe that jobs depend upon corruption, though there's no question that lots of people profit from it.

I do fail to love all my neighbors as I ought, but I am glad to say I don't hate any person.